[Spellyans] 'i'/'y' distribution in KS

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Mar 11 13:05:33 GMT 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, at 11:34, Christian Semmens wrote:

> Would it be possible for us to have a short paper outlining where we
> currently are regarding the distribution of 'i' and 'y' in KS?

A paper? No. How about an e-mail?

The AHG did not grasp the nettle of the distribution of i and y in the
SWF, mostly as it is complicated and hard to understand and there was
little time. So in the end they made some rules about monosyllables,
about final position, and then they took the distribution as George
has it in KK.

That last is objectionable because it assumes that KK (in terms of
George's etymologies here) is accurate. It also leads to "lyver"
'book' alongside "niver" 'number' even though the words are perfect
rhymes.

> I must admit that this is, at least to my eye, the least
> satisfactory part of KS. The utilisation of so many 'i's seems to be
> taking KS away from attested forms of words, ref. Nicholas' last
> email regarding lyw and 'lyf' > 'liv' as one example.

I don't think your eye is parsing correctly. ;-)

1) In monosyllables, <i> is used for [iː] and <y> is used for [ɪ].
This is the same rule as in the SWF. In words derived from these
monosyllables, the same vowel is used, so <kig> 'meat', <kiger>
'butcher'.

polysyllables and mandates <i> or <ei> in monosyllables. KS prefers
traditional graphs and so prefers final <y>. Elsewhere I have given an
exhaustive list of monosyllables ending in [i] or in [əi]. It is so
short that there is really no reason to distinguish (as the SWF does)
between those monosyllables with an [i]~[əi] alternation (a dozen),
those with an [i]~[e] alternation (two), and those with only [i]
(three). (For the second group we could write më~mÿ and të~tÿ, but
it does not appear that the bÿs~bës distinction needs to be marked
for these pronouns.)

3) In initial position, <i> is used except in a number of function words

4) <ya> is [jə] and <ia> is [ˈiə].

5) That leaves us with all other i's and y's in polysyllables. We tend
to use <y> where the sound is [ɪ] (which it nearly always is) and <i>
where it is [iː] typically only where it is stressed (delit, delitya,
titel, reqwir, desir, reqwirya, desirya). In a few words we use <î>
(sîra) where it seems prudent to emphasize the length and quality (cf.
syra).

This last item 5) is really the difficult part. So far we have not
been entirely consistent, but.... ASSUME that rules 1) to 4) are
solid. Can you help us with rules for 5)?

> I think it would be useful for us all to see where we think we are
> with this (or perhaps I am the only one confused).

So:

1) based on quality and quantity in monosyllables

2/3) i- and -y are cosmetic, as the former is always [ɪ] and the
latter {i} unstressed and [i(ː)]~[əi] stressed.

4) diphthongs, easy to remember

5) may still be slightly problematic (though marginal given the
coverage of the others).