[Spellyans] 'flood'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:49:58 GMT 2009

But it is not likely that CW lyw/lywe and Tregear's lew both had [v].
I believe the final segment was [w]. Cf. Lhuyd's kuniviaz 'to shear'
and Tregear's
the vos knevys y knew the veis 'to have his fleece shorn off' TH 23.
Here the verb is knevyas, knevys but the noun is knew.
A further instance is Lhuyds kynyphan 'nut' but -knowek 'nutty' in toponyms.

Nicholas