[Spellyans] 'flood'

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Wed Mar 11 14:33:52 GMT 2009

In the SWF, according to Dan's dictionary:

liv means "a file (tool)", "a flood", "a lunch", "it floods", "short for a
Liberal", "he files (scrapes)", "she  lunches".

liw means "a colour", "he paints".

lyw means "a rudder", "a flood".

So liv has 7 meanings and liw/lyw has 3 meanings.

Moreover, "a rudder" may be spelt "lew" (which also means "a lion") so most
ambiguities can be avoided.

As lyw needs no spelling change to bring it into line with the proposed
orthographical model, and as lyw has

less meanings than liv, and at least one of those could be respelt, I
conclude that lyw for "a flood" is better than liv.

However, I am concerned that the proposed orthographical model prevents us
from using attested spellings that

would help to solve the problem of some spellings being overloaded with
meanings. Perhaps we need to allow our

model to accept some exceptions. The word lyf would be authentic and not
clash with anything else. The langage

would be harder to learn if it had some spelling exceptions but it could
then prove easier to use. The pain may

have some gain.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim