[Spellyans] IANA language code for SWF Cornish

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Mar 20 09:44:29 GMT 2009

On 18 Mar 2009, at 22:23, steve at chygwyn.com wrote:

> I hope this question isn't too off-topic for this list... The IANA
> (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) maintains a list of language
> codes including Cornish:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry
>
> The entries include:
> kw
> kw-uccor
> kw-ucrcor and
> kw-kkcor
>
> Does anybody know if there is a code for the SWF, or if one has been
> applied for?

There isn't one. I applied for the others but left KS and the SWF out
for a number of reasons. (It doesn't mean that they should always be
out, just that I was more confident about applying for tags for UC,
UCR, and RLC.) First, neither a formal specification nor a dictionary
of KS available yet. Second, well, how many SWF tags should there be?
SWF/T and SWF/M are different superfically but quite visibly, and then
there's the application of the RLC forms to either. Third, the SWF
specification is a bit thin; it would, perhaps, be better to wait for
a dictionary to be published.

> I'm trying to find out what the correct tag should be for SWF
> Cornish in web pages and also for naming locales for translating
> software,

So far all you could use is kw. What are your specific plans, however?