[Spellyans] "to send"

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Mar 23 11:23:13 GMT 2009

Nicholas,

There is also:

Ow Amor den venough why / e thol war lerth arlythy / may hallowgh bos cvrvnys (BK 394; 3012-14);

y thova denvenys thym (CW 1021);

The verb danvon is a little unusual because it doesn’t have an additional verbal noun ending and a disyllabic 3rd sg. present-future form. It also has vowel affection in various other forms of the paradigm. Since in allegro speech one of the vowels would always be unstressed and thus most likely schwa, it is probably susceptible to reinterpretation when writing the language. So, the (regularised) verbal adjective danvenys was phonetically [dənˈvɛnɪs] which can easily be reinterpreted as phonological /denvenis/. Pardigmatic pressure may have encouraged the formation of analogical variants such as a 3rd sg thynvyn (which I think is rather /denven/, Tregear is very inconsistent with y ~ e; or maybe raising because of the nasal?)

Since these forms appear in the younger corpus of Middle Cornish, I might assume that these kinds of formations are analogical rather than original.

Just my thoughts…

Dan

  _____