[Spellyans] Abbreviating Ordinal Numbers

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:47:02 GMT 2009

Once you allow distinction in usage between traditional Cornish and
revived Cornish, you are really saying that revived Cornish is a
conlang. That I will not do.

Nessa means 'next'; secùnd means 'second.'

Lhuyd gives the ordinals as: Kenza The first;  Tridzha, The third;
Pazuera, The fourth… AB: 243b. He does not give any Cornish for
'second', apparently because he had heard secùnd only—which he did not
consider Cornish.

In Origo Mundi God the Father says:

yn secund dyth y fynna
gruthyl ebron nef' hynwys OM 17-8.

St Meriasek says:

in meys est an viijves deth
an secund feer sur a veth
sensys in pov benytha BM 2197-99.

In the Creation of the World God the Father when creating the angels
says:

in second degre yfithe gwryes
try order moy yn sertan CW 51-2.

When creating heaven and earth he says:

lebmyn yn second jorna
gwraf broster a thesempys CW 80-1.

John Tregear speaks of an nessa homely 'the next homily TH 5 and in
nessa homelie TH 46 'in the next homily'.
He uses second 'second' 16 times and seconde 'second' five times.

Nessa 'second' is an unfortunate invention of the early revivalists
and we should not encourage it.

Nicholas

'