[Spellyans] Abbreviating Ordinal Numbers

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Mar 25 14:03:36 GMT 2009

  _____

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:47 PM

“Once you allow distinction in usage between traditional Cornish and revived
Cornish, you are really saying that revived Cornish is a conlang. That I
will not do.”

No, that is not what I’m saying and that it not what I’m doing. Traditional
Cornish and Revived Cornish are, however, different entities. It is true
that Revived Cornish is based on traditional Cornish and should in my
opinion, and you and others would seem to agree, be firmly based on
traditional Cornish. Making the distinction, however, is warranted. The
Revival also has a history and there are a number of terms, phrases and
usages that are established. You have noticed the resistance that many
Cornish speakers have shown to certain emendations, however true, worthy and
attested they may be. <Nessa> is widely used as “second” in Revived Cornish.
While I use <second> and recommend it, I cannot ignore that a very large
section of the revival uses <nessa>. The same goes for words such as <ilow>.
You have said something along those lines in “Clappya Kernowek”, that this
word, though based on a misunderstanding, is too well established in the
Revival to disallow its use, whether we like it or not.

Dan

  _____