[Spellyans] An Abecedary Kernowek

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Sun Mar 29 14:34:24 IST 2009

All vowels have their long sound as their name. That's OK, I think.
For the long and short forms, I would just add ber or hir, rather than
trying to describe the diacritical mark used.
For the alternative forms ë and ÿ, I would add eylyans.

All consonants use the vowel, e (sometimes long; sometimes short), except
for q.
Why not make q = qwê?

Most consonant names start with the consonant and have -ê suffixed.
Why don't f, h, l, m, n, r, s, x conform?
It's because these consonants can be pronounced long, so to emphasise these,
we start with a short e, we suffix the consonant, and we pronounce it long.

x is an exception to these "rules". It should be called xê.

v could be ev but it is called vê to distinguish it from ef. That's OK.

h could be eh. However, this is difficult to say distinctly, so I recommend
egh.
Teaching the alphabet will then reinforce the connection between h and gh,
and it would help to teach the sound of gh at the same time.
The name, êch does not conform, and it isn't helpful.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim