[Spellyans] An Abecedary Kernowek

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Mar 30 08:12:39 IST 2009

On 30 Mar 2009, at 01:18, <ajtrim at msn.com> <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:

> Why H = hâ rather than H = hê?

Same thing: standard European. Engish aitch [eɪtʃ] comes from French
hache [aʃ], and that comes from ha [ha] but they lost the initial [h]
so "h" rhymed with "a" so they disambiguated to hache.

Compare also German (written here in KS orthography): â bê tsê dê
ê ef gê hâ î yot kâ ell èm èn ô pê cû èr ess tê û faw vê
iks upsylon tset

> Someone mentioned Q = kuw.

Me.

> I think that Q = cuw would be better, and I think cuw might be
> better than kyû (kyw?) or cû.
> I don't dislike Q = cû though.

cû is [kuː]; kyû is [kjuː]; cuw is [ˈkiːʊ] (rhymes with dyw, yw,
duw). I think the last to be a bit unlikely. In Latin it was ce/ca/cu
[keː kaː kuː] but as we have cê [seː] for the first we don't need
[kaː] for the second and I followed Talek(?) here with [keː].