[Spellyans] An Abecedary Kernowek

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Mar 30 08:16:00 IST 2009

On 30 Mar 2009, at 08:09, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> Absolutely, but what I'm getting at is that the alphabet has to
> contain alternatives for M and N (i.e. BM and DN) to be complete.

To spell "mamm" you say "èm â èm èm"; "mabm" you say "èm â bê èm".

> By the way, Andrew and I came across an annoying problem with the
> SWF which has commol but comolen.  Surely the collective noun is in
> error as the word does not preocclude.  If not, then we have an
> unnecessary complication for learners (why double M in one but not
> the other?).

In my understanding if the word does not pre-occlude it should be
written with a single -m-.

> I thought it was agreed that geminates would only occur in stressed
> syllables where it is known that preocclusion applies, e.g. dhymm/
> dhybm; omma/obma.

Evidently not. We tried to get them to accept this but they fudged it
somehow -- in a fairly clumsy feat of linguistic doubletalk that
actually makes it pretty hard to understand the rule, certainly for
ordinary folks. This is one of the mistakes in the SWF which we
correct in KS.