[Spellyans] An Abecedary Kernowek

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:10:50 IST 2009

The word comolen, comol is borrowed from Welsh and Breton and is not
attested in Cornish.
Comolek 'dark, cloudy' is cited by Borlase (1758) and Pryce (1790).
The <c> indicates that this does item not come
from Lhuyd. The root comol- clearly existed in Cornish.
I suspect that commol - comolen is intended to be the same alternation
as gallos - galosek, etc.
which is justified by the practice of the scribes.

The only word for 'cloud' attested in the traditional language is
*cloud, plural cloudys:

omma avy than clowdes CW 4
than noore in dan an clowdys CW 76.

Nicholas