[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'fisherman'

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon May 18 21:19:34 BST 2009

Indeed—but Lhuyd's deskadzher is itself his own invention, and is not
supported by any writer of traditional Cornish. Lhuyd presumably
thought that the OC Cornish agent suffix -adur would have assibilated.
As a result he coined the word deskadzher. He also forgot (or perhaps
had not learnt) that OC piscadur retained -d- in his own day. Moreover
the very common word pehadur, pehador 'sinner' shows the same suffix
without assibilation, as does the word sylwador.
In fact we would not expect assibilation in the suffix -ador, because
the adjacent /r/ prevent the assibilation of intervocalic /d/. Think
of Peder, Pedyr 'St Peter', peder 'four (feminine)'. Notice also that
the personal name Cador occurs twice in BK. It is also interesting
that the OC pridit 'poet' appears in BK as prydyth, where the
preceding /r/ has prevented assibilation. The word for 'teacher' is
not attested in traditional Cornish, but if it were, it would no doubt
be descader, not descager.
There is a word related to puscador, namely the word for 'to fish',
Lhuyd's pusgetsha. This does assibilate because there is no /r/ in the
vicinity of the dental.

Nicholas