[Spellyans] sickle/scythe

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Nov 4 14:16:54 GMT 2009

Nance gives falgh and the plural fylghyow, George falgh, fylghyer; based on Breton falc’h, filc’hier. This appears to derive from Latin falcem (Deshayes’ “Dictionaire Étymologique du Breton”). Lhuyd’s fîlh, filh appears to be a singular form, possibly derived from a plural form. Lhuyd’s voụlz, voulz, vɐụlz may be from Old French falz (George). No plural appears to be attested.

In my dictionary I have given falgh, but also included fylgh as a Late Cornish based form. Maybe Lhuyd’s fîlh is a plural.

Dan

  _____