[Spellyans] sickle/scythe

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:07:32 GMT 2009

It is likely that Lhuyd's filh is indeed a plural in origin. I should
recommend falgh f., plural fylgh, fylghyow. Voulz is almost certainly
a different word (though from the same Latin etymon). In KS it would
be written fâls, with a circumflex to show that the etymological a was
raised and rounded. In SWF I can't say.

By the way both falgh/fylgh and fâls refer to the scythe. This has a
shaft with two short handles attached and a curved blade at right
angles to it. The scythe is still used in Ireland to mow hay (grass).
The scythe is traditionally held by Death as the reaper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythe
http://dansemacabre.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/grim_reaper.jpg

 A sickle is much smaller and has a handle for one hand only and a
semicircular blade. In Cornish this is crobman, cromman (Lhuyd's
krobman). It was widely used to reap corn. For example in Stubbs'
famous picture of the Reapers where the man on the right near the
horseman is using a sickle. The sickle crossed with the hammer was the
device used by communist parties and states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/stubbs/images/works/reapers.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_and_sickle

I have used both scythe and sickle. They are very different and should
not be confused.
Falgh and Fals refer to the scythe, not the sickle.

Nicholas