[Spellyans] fleece

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 19:06:19 GMT 2009

There is something of a problem with Lhuyd's <lyv>.
It is possible that he did indeed hear the word and that it was
pronounced [lIv].
I have my doubts.

In the middle of the sixteenth century the word was [lIw] written
<lew> TH 7.
In CW this appears as <lywe> CW 2358 and <lyw> CW 2420,
and in the plural as <lyvyow>  CW 2314, 2538 and <levyaw> CW 2165.

This means that the usual forms in the sixteenth and seventeenth
centuries seem to have been

It is therefore possible, and perhaps even likely, that Lhuyd didn't
actually hear his <lyv>
but derived it from the plural <lyvyow> and from the singular <lyf>,
which he came across
in Origo Mundi (we know he had read OM because he quotes from it at
AB: 265).

If in KS we are going to base our spelling upon the texts, then we
should write
<livyow>.
I prefer lyw, livyow.

I apologise for writing *lywow for lywyow "colours"; I thought I had
indeed written
lywyow; my eyesight is not what it was. *Lywyow "colours" is not
attested.

The only attested word for "colours" in the plural in Cornish is either
colors (yma S paul worth agan payntia ny in mes in colors in leas
tellars in scriptur "St Paul paints us out in colours in many places
in Scripture" TH 7a)  or
colorys (Colorys cler "Bright colours" BK 1712).
The singular *color occurs with spirantised initial in: me re jangyas
ow holor "I have changed my colour" BK 3130.

Nicholas