[Spellyans] cockles

j.mills at email.com j.mills at email.com
Thu Nov 26 13:52:19 GMT 2009

Nance (1952) gives "cocla", "coclys" for English 'cockles'. George (2009) gives "koklys". The only attestation I have been able to find is Lhuyd (1707: 33c, 241c) who writes "kẏligi". Assuming this word derives from Latin cochilia, whether directly or via Norman-French cokaile or Middle English cokille, metathesis appears to have taken place in the Cornish form. Shouldn't we represent this metathesis in our current form for this word?
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent