[Spellyans] nut

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Nov 26 16:26:47 GMT 2009

But that Lhuyd example (and others, such as gwedhan knyfan (dot over
the y), and kynyphan frenk (dot over both y), 74a, include the medial
f that George ignores, preferring instead to go with W. cneuog and
Breton kraoneg (wavy wotsit over the n), instead of attested Cornish.
 From Lhuyd's evidence, the Cornish word was distinct from W and B.

I think that KS and the SWF should reject *knowen, unless some real
evidence from a Cornish source turns up.

Craig

On 26 Du 2009, at 15:58, j.mills at email.com wrote:

> Lhuyd (1707: 101c) gives "kynyfan" (i.e. KG's "knowen") as the
> Cornish for "a nut". Lhuyd (1707: 51c) gives "Guedhan knyfan" for
> "An hasle-tree".
>
> Jon
> Dr. Jon Mills,
> School of European Culture and Languages,
> University of Kent

Craig Weatherhill