[Spellyans] fleece

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Nov 26 17:59:47 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Everson
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:20 PM

“On 26 Nov 2009, at 10:30, nicholas williams wrote:

> The Cornish word for "colour" is liu in OCV, where it occurs more

> than once. The Breton and Welsh congeners are liv and lliw

> respectively.

> How has it developed as lew in CW and lêu in Late Cornish?

Well, the same question can be asked of bÿs and bës, don't you think?”

“This is not relevant. The "justification" for them in the SWF is (1) George
has it in KK, (2) The Kesva and Cowethas members of the AHG "aspire" (or
said that they did) to distinguish <iw> and <yw> in speech.”

SWF piw (cf. PA pu, OM/PC/RD/CW pyw, BM pyv, BK/TH/SA/CW pew, Lh piụ);

SWF liw (cf. OC liu, PA/PC/RD lyw, PC/RD lyv, CW lew, Lh liụ);

SWF diw (cf. OM/PC dyw, PC dyv, CW dew, Lh diu), though I agree with
Nicholas that the distinction of grammatical gender in dew and diw is
blurred already in Middle Cornish;

In the phonetic transcription I use in my SWF dictionary I do not
that fall in with /eu/ in Late Cornish and usually they have a variant
spelling <ew>, we could call them the “byw/bew-words”, essentially the same
as bys/bes-words; so in a way iw is used for stable /iu/, yw ~ ew for the
diachronic /iu/ ~ /eu/ variation, and ew is used for stable /eu/.