[Spellyans] cockles

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Nov 27 11:19:32 GMT 2009

Thanks for this!!

Dan

  _____

From: j.mills at email.com
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 12:10 PM

Lhuyd (1707: 33c,241c) uses a dotted-y in kẏligi. This represents schwa in a weak syllable. If we assume a singular form, kylik/colik, then the stress would shift to the first syllable and we need to know the strong form of the vowel in the first syllable. If this word comes form Latin cochylia, then it would be reasonable, perhaps, to assume the vowel <o>.

Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent