[Spellyans] bat

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:14:06 GMT 2009

Lhuyd's skelli grehan 'bat' really means 'leather wings' and is
comparable with the Irish sciathán leathair, lit. 'leather wing', one
of the many Irish terms for 'bat'
I assume that originally there was a Cornish form *askell grohen,
where the feminine noun askell lenited the initial consonant of the
following word crohen, used adjectivally to mean 'of skin, of leather'.
Since we have skelli grehan only, we should spell it eskelly grehyn
and use it both for singular and plural. A bat has more than one wing,
and so does a belfry full of bats.
I think we should write the aphetic e-. This is exactly comparable
with eskyjyow 'shoes', which is attested as skyggyow (once in OM and
once in TH).
An asterisk is not required.

Nicholas