[Spellyans] Skeul an Tavas

Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Fri Sep 18 12:03:24 IST 2009

A gowetha wheg,

I have just received the copies of Skeul an Tavas which I ordered earlier
this week.  I have already had the opportunity to skim read and to study one
or two points in a little more depth.  I must say at the outset that all
concerned are to be very warmly congratulated on the publication and
production standards.    These are attractive and well designed.  I find the
illustrations most helpful, and indeed they most obviously show considerable
thought and purpose from a teaching and learning perpective.  These books
will be of enormous benefit to Cornish learners, and richly deserve a good
sale.  I am sure that they will play a part in increasing the take-up and
success amongst potential learners.  This is a real breakthrough and step
forward..

I must say that reading Cornish in practice brings home to me the virtues of
the Kernowak Standard system - especially for the vowels.  This all begins
to make systematic sense.  The use of traditional graphs is much to be
commended for those of us who have been habituated to the traditional and
early revived forms of Cornish - as well as Cornish as it appears on
Ordnance Survey maps.

These productions have given me a real incentive to get on with the business
of effectively acquiring the language.    The various competing forms have
to date been a real deterrent, and most especially from the point of view of
pronunciation.     This has been a real off-putter (indeed one of the causes
of failure in Grade Four oral exam.)   Following the sectiuons on
pronunciation, as so clearly and systematically outlined in these guides,
will be a very real help.   I could only wish that this course might be
followed up with a pronunciation CD.   (I have not found other previous
efforts of such to have  been of much help.)

I have also just received the annual report of the Kesva.  I note their
forward policies re examinations.  In the Kesva exams I very much trust that
marks will not be deducted for use of traditional graphs in the SWF option -
nor to be fair all round for residual spelling effects from candidates who
have so far used previous varieties of the language - in my case Unified.
It might be good to get some re-assurance on this.    The present state of
the game is after all very much a transitional period, and this should be
fully recognised and not prescriptively penalised.   It may be time for
other modes of examination to be recognised or developed.  I am not at all
sure what the Language Ladder scheme itself involves in this regard.

Incidentally, one small point of criticism in this respect, the Foreword
speaks of the 'UK Department for Children, Schools and Families'.  I do not
think that this department has any remit in the devolved jurisdictions of
Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.   If I am correct it is an England-only
department.   You might have just about got away with; 'the Department for
Children, Schools and Families under the UK Government' or 'the government's
Department for Children,Schools and Families', (which is probably what was
intended, and what it actually is in our present dog's dinner of a
constitution.)

Anyway, very hearty congratulations to all concerned on this initiative.
It will bear much fruit.

Keslowena colonnek dheugh-why oll - an Ken ken

Ken MacKinnon is now on Broadband  with new e-mail addresses:-

ken at ferintosh.org
and also at:-
ken.ferintosh at googlemail.com

My former e-mail addresses are no longer able to be used.

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,
Ross-shire  IV 7 8HX