[Spellyans] Holyer an Gof 2010

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 14:53:55 IST 2010

As far as the judges of Holyer an Gof are concerned it would seem that
orthography trumps quality.
The two permitted orthographies are KK (which was rightly rejected by
the Commission) and the SWF.
Neither of the two winning volumes seems to be of outstanding value.
Moreover the KK dictionary has changed the phonology of KK and in so
doing has rendered the orthography wholly unphonemic—
which we were told was the sine qua non of KK . Not that any such
changes will affect anybody's pronunciation; since all speakers of
KK actually speak UC (plus a few errors of their own, e.g. privv
'worm', bizz 'world').

The SWF on the other hand in both its forms is a political compromise,
which is as inauthentic as it is incoherent. It is unlikely to last
long—at least in its present form.
The revival needs to be built on scholarly criteria, not political
fudge.
What a missed opportunity!

Nicholas Williams