[Spellyans] Holyer an Gof 2010

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 21:05:14 IST 2010

I was the deviser of UCR. I recommended it in Cornish Today as a way
of retaining the link with the traditional Cornish texts but also
attempting to systematise their spelling and to remove some of the
inconsistencies in Unified Cornish. At the same time I criticised KK
as being based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the sound system
of Cornish and as using a very largely concocted spelling. This
criticism, coming as it did from a professional student of the Celtic
languages, did little to endear me or my efforts to many, and as a
result UCR was never allowed as a spelling for Gorsedd examinations.
In consequence UCR did not replace UC; and of course KK users would
not touch it, since it was the work of the severest critic of KK.

I did not "dump" UCR. I withdrew my support for it because I believed
that it was too inconsistent and too difficult to be used as a
compromise orthography for the  whole revival. Instead, with others, I
was involved in the elaboration of KS which has the merit of using
traditional graphs (for the most part) and being almost entirely
phonetic. It is immediately apparent from the spelling of KS how it is
to be pronounced. In this respect KS is superior to SWF/T, which for
example, has no way of distinguishing the three separate
pronunciations of <u> (as short u, long u and long French u [y:]). It
is of course also greatly superior to SWF/M which uses spellings alien
etc.); as well as whole string of "etymological" spellings. In SWF,
for example, "book" is lyver and "number" is niver, but the words are
a perfect rhyme.  "We see" is gwelyn and "mill" is melin in the SWF,
but the two words rhyme perfectly. "Tongue, language" is invariably
tavas in the Cornish texts, but the SWF spells the word <taves>. There
are many, many more examples of such unnecessary distinctions in the
SWF.

The essential point to remember, I think, is this: since Cornish has
no native speakers whose speech we can imitate, we need a spelling
which is as clear and as unambiguous as possible. Unless our spelling
is phonetic on the one hand and firmly rooted in traditional Cornish
spelling, it will not survive.

I am convinced that the SWF as it stands, in both its main and
traditional forms, needs to undergo major revision. A revision is
scheduled in 2013. I hope that such a revision proves sufficient. If
not, I believe that the SWF will ultimately be abandoned—to be
replaced by a more traditional and less ambiguous orthography.

Nicholas Williams