[Spellyans] Holyer an Gof 2010

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Mon Aug 23 11:17:51 IST 2010

On 22 Est 2010, at 20:17, WILSON NANCY wrote:

> I now have my UCR copy of Testament Noweth and NJWilliams UCR
> Gerlyver to help me with any 'stumbling' in the texts. Both books
> are from Evertype/Spyrys and I highly recommend them. They rather
> reinforce my instinct that UCR, for all it has been so prematurely
> dumped by most, is still the richest form of Cornish.

We must remember that the intention of the SWF was that it should be a
compromise spelling for use in Statutory Education and Public Life
only.  It was never intended to replace anything that went before.
With hindsight I think that a big mistake was accepting that what used
to be referred to as the Single Written Form was in the future to be
known as the Standard Written Form.  This implies that everything else
is in some way inferior.

At a personal level I use UCR and will continue to do so and yes it is
a rich form of Cornish based firmly on the historical texts.  I
sincerely hope that what ever changes are made to the SWF in 2013 will
give it the regularity of KS but at the end of the day KS like the SWF
is a compromise spelling and, apart from the stated uses, not
something for those of us who wish to imitate Cornish at the high
point of its history.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow