[Spellyans] "Thank you"

j.mills at email.com j.mills at email.com
Wed Aug 25 13:02:12 IST 2010

Gras is also a borrowing from Old Norman French. The expression meur ras is a calque on Old Norman French grant mersi. The difference in register is most evident between the miracle plays and Boorde's Conversation in a Tavern. The Conversation in a Tavern represents ordinary everyday Cornish of the period, unlike the plays which are highly stylised.
Ol an gwella,

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent