[Spellyans] "Thank you"

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 17:46:22 IST 2010

On 25 Est 2010, at 07:55, nicholas williams wrote:
> Given that gromercy ‘thank you’ is much better attested than any
> other expression with the sense ‘thank you’, perhaps we should be
> using it in preference to Meur ras dhis/Meur ras dhywgh why.

Or perhaps we should not! Given that 'mur ras' and 'gromercy' and
'durdala why' are all frequently attested in the Revived Cornish
corpus, and have all been in common use amongst Kernewegoryon for more
than 3 generations, one should instead use whichever one fancies.

And we can add to the list (based on what Nance offers in his
excellent dictionaries) such confections as 'mur ras a aswonaf dhys',
'y whon dhys mur ras', or even, 'dhys re bo grassys' and 'dhys y'n
grassaf'

Isn't Cornish lucky to have such a richness of ways of expressing
gratitude. I very much hope that Kernewegoryon will refuse to have
their choice of idiom constrained by someone counting up what's in the
historical corpus.

The living, revived language is too rich and vibrant to be ruled by
mere accountants' number crunching, surely.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem