[Spellyans] "Thank you"

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Aug 25 19:17:52 IST 2010

I'm very cautious about preferring a word or phrase simply because it
outnumbers the others in the (extant) texts.

By extension, we should all be using Kemmyn, because they between 55%
and 90% of all speakers (according to whose fairy-tale you hear - and
they're all Grimm!).  God forbid!

Craig

On 25 Est 2010, at 18:57, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2010, at 18:44, A. J. Trim wrote:
>
>> Yes, we should use gromercy but should we spell it ending -rcy or -
>> rsy, and why did Symonds write -rshe? Is this implying the English
>> sh sound or does it imply that there is stress on the final syllable?
>
> "ercy" is [ɛrsi] and "ersy" is [ɛrzi].

Craig Weatherhill