[Spellyans] Cornish fonts

Ceri Young rcr_young at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 14:27:29 IST 2010

Font useage is quite an interesting topic to raise in a forum developing KS
because of its useage of diacrits which aren't supported by a substantial number
of fonts, and which would surely present some problems to those who'd wish
to use KS in desktop publishing without particular expertise in typesetting.

Obviously, this problem exists in Welsh too - the Welsh Language Board's website
has issued PDF advice guides on the graphical presentation of Welsh and how to
tackle problems involved in Welsh typography; using fonts which don't support
the language's peculiar diacrits such as circumflexes over 'y' or 'w' characters
etc. - so the guides contain some basic advice on how to kern a circumflex over
a plain letter form. Other advice in the guides concerns best practice
guidelines for the graphical layout of bilingual literature, or how to choose
fonts which take into account Welsh's higher frequency of characters with stems
& tails ('ascenders' & 'descenders') than is evident in English - or kerning
where letter combinations of 'yw' or 'wy' require cosmetic adaptations to the
font settings.

If it's of interest to anybody, (and while I have no idea if the Cornish
Language Board publishes similar advice to graphic designers) I've attached two
of the more recent of such PDF guides issued by the Welsh Language Board to this
post. I think there's definitely a few points of in these which might be of
interest to those who write Revived Cornish, and indeed; KS.

Oll an gwella,