[Spellyans] Cornish fonts

John Nash mim.oldwellstudio at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 28 13:19:01 IST 2010

Thanks Ken - your point about using celtic scripts is really what
prompted my original question. I do use lettering based upon these
within some of my creative work, prompted by my interest in the early
British, and especially the early Cornish, church. Although these are
basically just decorative pieces or paintings which don't make any
claims to historical 'purity', I would prefer to avoid obvious
gaffes. Using 'celtic'  lettering for Latin texts seemed to me in
historical context, as there are a host of manuscripts  to use as
exemplars, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar from this
period featuring Cornish. Whether this is because none ever existed,
or whether none survived the depredations of the Reformation, I don't
know.
The script used for the Ordinalia is certainly very beautiful - I've
only had time for a quick browse, but apart from its provenance as to
it place of origin, I'm not sure that it has anything stylistically
that defines it as uniquely Cornish. I may well be talking out of the
wrong orifice here, as I'm no expert on 15th century scripts, but at
first glance it seems to fall stylistically into the mainstream of
English cursive book hands from the period. No doubt there are others
that have studied it in depth. There are already typefaces inspired
by similar book hands of this period, but I agree, it would be good
to see one specifically derived from the Ordinalia.
I also found Ceri's contribution re typographic advice on the use of
Cornish in a modern context very useful.
Sorry if starting this thread is perhaps a bit off message for this
Forum!
Oll an gwella
John