[Spellyans] Cornish fonts

Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Sat Aug 28 16:57:34 IST 2010

Dear John, and colleagues,

Again apologies in  that this is somewhat peripheral; to spelling issues.

I share your interest in early British / "Celtic" Christianity.   As I said in an earlier post to Ceri I find the use of early Gaelic scripts for much later material in other Celtic languages inauthentic ( anachronistic and ectopic).

I would assume that the 'Ordinalia' script is typical of its period.  I would imagine it is closely similar to other 'hands' in Britain and Europe.   It would be good to have an expert view as to whether there are distinctive features.  But since modern Cornishes ( with the exception of Late / Modern) are based on texts from this period ( + / - ) it would seem that this might be a suitable basis for the devlopment of a distinctive script for revived Cornishes used for stylistc purposes, decorative uses, language display etc.

I certainly do hope that this correspondence may be able to stimulate such a development.

Sorry for wandering off-topic with this.

Gans gorhemmynadow an gwella - Ken

Ken MacKinnon is now on Broadband  with new e-mail addresses:-

ken at ferintosh.org
and also at:-
ken.ferintosh at googlemail.com

My former e-mail addresses are no longer able to be used.

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,
Ross-shire  IV 7 8HX