[Spellyans] how to do

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 18:14:12 GMT 2010

Sure, even lexicographers may err: tea minima culpa, amice!

I've done a cursory search of such electronic texts as are at my
disposal, and Nicholas seems to be right about *(fatel + verb-noun)
not being attested. All I could find was it being used with finite
forms, alas.

I did, however, find one suggestive usage (of which more anon), in
Carer Brynyow's translation of Ch.19 of 'Trystan hag Ysolt':
> Fatel yllyr danvon dhedhy / bos ethom mur dhym anedhy?

Let's remind ourselves of the original passage from MAGA:
> The training will cover how to interview people, how to edit
> material, how to put a programme together…
>
> An trenyans a wra mires orth fatel wul keswelyow, fatel drehi
> rekordyansow, fatel wul towlen…

I suggest these possibilities for translating it (in my preferred UC
spelling):
•1) An trenyans a wra myres orth gul keswelyow, treghy recordyansow,
gul towlen…
•2) An trenyans a wra myres orth gwreans keswelyans, ha towlen,
treghyans recordyansow…
	(no need to deal with the fatel/how-to issue in these paradigms)
•3) An trenyans a wra myres orth fatel wrer keswelyow ha towlen,
treghy recordyansow…
	(the impersonal/passive sidesteps the issue Nicholas raises)
…And, of course, there's Nicholas' rewording to be borne in mind:
•4) An trenyans a wra myres orth an forth dhe wul keswelyansow…

Moving away from the 'fatel' part of this passage, I'm not overjoyed
at their use of 'myras orth' for 'to cover'. There's an idea of
thoroughness and comprehensiveness connoted by 'cover' that just isn't
there with a mere 'myras orth' (which could be no more than a quick
peek).

I wonder if one might try the metaphorical use of words like 'kelghy',
'gorheas' or 'kerghynna' to give a flavour of the same meaning as
'cover'. NJAW (2006) has all of these under 'encompass', as well as
the macaronic 'compassa' and 'comprehendya'—Govy, ellas, ogh ha tru!

Any thoughts?

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem