[Spellyans] in the future

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Wed Dec 1 14:12:00 GMT 2010

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:05 PM
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: [Spellyans] in the future

I notice that almost all speakers, whatever their preferred orthography, use the same expression
for 'in the future', namely i'n termyn a dheu.

I am unhappy about this expression, since it seems that we should be looking
for a way of saying 'in the time which is coming' rather than 'in the time which will come'.
The second is, it seems to me, too distant.
And indeed the expression is used of final judgement:

Galles genogh mens am bus termen a thue crist ihesus interthon a ran an gvyr prederugh helma deth brus 'You have taken all I have.
Between us at some future date Christ Jesus will distribute justice. Think of that on the day of judgement'  BK 1920-24.

I should prefer:
i'n termyn usy ow tos.

Compare:

In neb dythyow us ow tos settys rag th’agan dyseysya me a wor the wyr e vos, ha pryns heb par  'In some days that are coming
I know that he is determined to unsettle us indeed and a peerless prince' BK 2239-42.

In some cases the best translation for 'in the future' might be alebma rag 'from now on, in future', cf.

tru y disky aban reys alemma rag ny'm byth creys 'alas, since it is necessary to take it of, in future I shall have no peace' RD 1959-60
pan a dra a ren ny gwettyas theworth du alymma rag mar teny ha peha hay ankevy eff 'what can we expect from God in the future, if we sin and forget him?' TH 15a
Gesowgh oll rancor, anger ha malice alemma rag the vos vtterly banysshys theworthan ny 'Let all rancour, anger and malice be utterly banished from us in future' TH 30
ha na venny alemma rag kepar ha flehes ow shackya gans pub waffe, na bos ledys gans pub blast a thyscans
'and so that we in the future will not be like children shaking with every breeze, nor led by each gust of doctrine' TH 42
Gesowgh ny lymmyn, tus vas oll, alemma rag the vos constant ha feithfull in gwryoneth 'Let us all now, all good people, be constant and faithful in the truth from now on/in the future' TH 54a.

Another well-attested expression for 'hereafter, in the future' is wosa hebma:

woge hemma why a wel map dev sur ov ysethe abarth dyov dyougel 'in the future surely you will see the Son of God sitting on the right hand'  PC 1485-87
Eff a vith particularly disquethis ha settys in mes theugh wosa hemma, an severall maters the vos cryses ha practisis
gans pub cristyan da oll, nan geffo den vith wosa hemma just cawse rag pretendia igorans 'In articular the several matters to be believed and put into practice by all good Christian will be shown to you and set out for you hereafter, lest any one have just cause in the future to claim ignorance' TH 20
rag henna woza hemma in chast gwren ny kesvewa ha carnall ioye in bysma ny a vyn warbarth naha 'therefore in future let us live chastely together and deny ourselves sexual pleasure together in this world' CW 1313-16
ef a ra oll desernya an pyth a vyth woza hemma kekefrys a throg ha da 'he will determine what will happen in the future of both bad an good' CW 1411-13
Benytha woza hebma  in ybbern y fyth gwelys an gabmthavas in teffry 'For ever in the future i'n the heavens will be seen the rainbow indeed' CW 2499-501
Andelna eu pe na veth nab peth gwrez lebben ita, n[a] scant vedna bose gwrez ugge hemma 'so it is if nothing is done in it now, it will hardly be done in the future' Nebbaz Gerriau.

Me a garse clôwes tybyans an esely erel.