[Spellyans] how to do

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 18:41:33 GMT 2010

In a recent email from the Partnership about training sessions for Radyo an Gernewegva the following occurs:

The training will cover how to interview people, how to edit material, how to put a programme together…

This is rendered in Cornish as:

An trenyans a wra mires orth fatel wul keswelyow, fatel drehi rekordyansow, fatel wul towlen…

In all three cases fatel 'how' is being used with lenition before a verbal noun. In the texts, however, fatel (fatell, fetel) is used
only before a finite verb. I can find no exceptions in 199 instances.

If one wants to say 'how to do' something in traditional Cornish, one has, I think, to say 'the way to do something' and one uses fordh dhe (forth the), fordh rag (forth rag). Here are three examples:

rag henna ze bob dyzgthtya forth a rug the vos sylwys 'therefore he did prepare a way for all men to be saved' PA 7d
lemman na veny lezys nyng es forth ze omweze 'now there is no way for us to protect ourselves that we be not killed' PA 245 d
ny a vyn ompredery forth rag y treyla defry 'we will consider a way to make him change his mind indeed' BM 2857-58.

Perhaps the English, The training will cover how to interview people, how to edit material, how to put a programme together…
might be translated:

An trenyans a wra mires orth an fordh dhe wul keswelyow, dhe drehi rekordyansow, ha dhe wul towlen… (An trênyans a wra meras orth an fordh dhe wil keswelyow, dhe drehy recordyansow, ha dhe wil towlen…).

Can any one suggest a better way of translating the sentence into Cornish?