[Spellyans] how to do

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 07:06:06 GMT 2010

While Nicholas' suggested rewording "…an fordh dhe + verb-noun…" is,
of course, unobjectionable, it may not be necessary. After all, his
Dictionary (2006) offers this entries

deal. I didn't know how to deal with him. me ny wodhyen gul dhodho
get. I know how to get round her. me a wor hy dynya

These suggest one may not need to use fatel in Cornish.

hint. I know how to take a hint. me a wor fatel y gonvedhes:
tether. I am at the end of my tether. ny won fatel gul nessa

…while these clearly show fatel + verb-noun (it's simple to rephrase
the first example as me a wor fatel convedhes an venen).
Interestingly, the 2nd example shows no lenition after fatel.

On the basis of these paradigms, MAGA's translation might be recast as
either…

An trenyans a wra mires orth gul keswelyow, trehi rekordyansow, gul
towlen…

…or, bearing in mind the advice of Nance (1938) sub fatel (fatel is
not used twice in one sentence)…
An trenyans a wra mires orth fatel gul keswelyow, trehi rekordyansow,
gul townlen.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem