[Spellyans] a denewen "aside"

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Feb 10 17:06:06 GMT 2010

Michael,

"Change" is interpretable. I wasn't aware of KS taking UC/R as a default
spelling and adapting from there, I thought it was "informed" by the SWF and
changed accordingly if necessary. As you know, the SWF takes the KK-form as
default with Vocalic Alternation from UC, back-checked against the
attestations, which means that the KK-form <tenewen> has to be proven wrong
to warrant "change". I find no fault with this spelling, however. Not only
is this form well attested (VC, RD, PA, OM, BM), but it appears to make
sense from an etymological point of view. The word is related to <tanow>
"thin" and the i-mutation must have come from somewhere. Also, compare the
Welsh cognate <tenewyn, tynewyn>. The spelling <tenewyn> is also attested in
PA. Note that the adverbial phrase <a denewen> is never attested with -an in
the unstressed syllable. I'm not proposing a "change" in respect to the
agreed guidelines of the SWF and since KS is "informed" by the SWF rather
than UC/R, it is you who "changed" the form back to what Nance had and
Nicholas took over in UCR.

My retention of the form <tenewen> has rationale, does your change to
<tenewan> have a reason?

Dan