[Spellyans] quyt/quit

j.mills at email.com j.mills at email.com
Tue Feb 9 08:48:45 GMT 2010

Cornish quit is borrowed from Old Norman French: quite, quitte; quit, quiet, quiete, which has a long vowel. Unless there is any good reason to suppose that the vowel became short after this word was borrowed, and I see no reason, then we should assume a long vowel and write this word qwit.
Ol an gwella
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent