[Spellyans] Etymology of Cornish language months of the year and seasons

David Trethewey dlrt2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 15:15:41 GMT 2010

Anyone have a clue about the etymology of the Cornish language names of
months of the year and of the seasons?

We have a poet who has been attached as an "Artist Associate" to the
Institute of Astronomy, Melanie Challenger.

She gave a talk today about "Astronomical ideas in small and endangered
languages" speaking mostly about Inuit, and how their languages express
astronomical and timekeeping ideas.

I was wondering what the Cornish language could contribute to this
discussion, where do the words for the months and seasons come from in
Cornish?

David

--
David Trethewey