[Spellyans] Etymology of Cornish language months of the year and seasons

janicelobb at tiscali.co.uk janicelobb at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 16:28:00 GMT 2010

Dear David

This is what my researches have led me to believe.
Probably the rest of the Spellyans membership will not agree with me!
The spelling I use is Modern Cornish.

Whatever you think regarding the Roman Conquest or otherwise in
Cornwall, Latin has obviously left an indelible mark (perhaps via the
Christian church), with half the months and no days having names of
Celtic origin.

mîz (pronounced meez)=  (a) month; hantar Mîz, a fortnight.

Mîz Jenuar, January (month); Janus’s month (Roman two-faced god, god
of doors)
Mîz Whevral, February (month) ;  (poss. from Latin februa =
purification; the month begins with Candlemass)
Mîz Merh, March (month); Mars’s month (Roman god of war – start of the
soldiers’ year)
Mîz Ebral, April (month); (poss. from Latin aperio = to reveal,
because buds open to reveal leaves and flowers)
Mîz Mea, May (month);  Maia’s month  (Roman goddess of growth)
Mîz Efan, June (month); poss. understood as clear month  (effan =
clear, open) but origins are thought to go back to Medio-saminos in the
Celtic calendar, which poss. means (of)Summer  [Metheven is an archaic
form]
Mîz Gorefan, July (month); poss. understood as extremely (or beyond)
clear month (gor indicates intensity) but origins in Celtic calendar
meant end of summer (beyond summer)
Mîz Est, August (month); hot month (poss. from Latin aestas = summer,
or aestus = heat)
Mîz Gwedngala, September (month); month of white straw  (gwedn = white
(f), cala = straw)
Mîz Hedra, October (month); month of the bellowing of stags (hêdh =
stag, brivia = to bleat, etc.)
Mîz Diu, November (month);  dark month (diu/dhiu = dark, black)
Mîz Kevardhu, December (month); dark weather month  (kewar = weather)

dêdh: didh (pronounced daythe or deethe) = (a) day
but usually du = day when naming festivals, and de = day for days of
the week

De Lîn, Monday; Luna’s day  (Roman goddess of the moon)
De Merh, Tuesday; Mars’ day  (Roman god of war)
De Marhar,  Wednesday; Mercury’s day  (Roman messenger of the gods)
De Yow, Thursday; Jove’s day  (Roman god of the sky)
De Gwenar, Friday; Venus’ day  (Roman goddess of love)
De Zadarn, Saturday; Saturn’s day  (Roman god of time)
De Zîl, Sunday; Sol’s day  (Roman god of the sun)

Some feast days also have Latin connections:
Du Halan an Vledhan = New Year’s Day (Halan, Calan and Cala all derive
from Latin calends/kalends, the 1st day of the month)
Calamea = May Day (Middle of the Celtic Year – begins the light half
of  year)
Du Halan = All Saints’ Day (Celtic New Year – begins the dark half of
the year)

Du Pâsk = Easter Day (Latin pascha, though could be via French)

I have no etymology for the seasons - so I would be extremely
interested to read what others have to say
(I'd love to think that the word for Autumn was in some way connected
with the word for taking leave.)

The Zodiac signs are direct translations, with several spelling
variations, of the ones we use today: an Tarow (Taurus, the bull),
Gevellion (Gemini, the twins), an Crang (Cancer, the crab), an Lew
(Leo, the lion), an Werthiez (Virgo, the maiden), an Vontol (Libra, the
scales - similar word used for the Solstice), an Scorpion (Scorpio, the
Scorpion - obviously not native or heraldic animal!), an Zethar
(Sagittarius, the archer), an Gavar/an Avar (Capricorn, the goat), an
Deger Dowr (Aquarius, the water carrier), Puskaz (Pisces, the fish pl.)
and an Horr (Aries, the ram).

I guess they may not be traditional.

Jan Lobb