[Spellyans] Etymology of Cornish language months of the year and seasons

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:51:22 GMT 2010

On 10/02/2010, nicholas williams <njawilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Augustus gave his name to one month, and Iulius Caesar to another.
> Originally there was only one month, called Quintilis.

And the other, Sextilis. The numbering is off by two, supposedly,
because Numa added January and February to what had been a ten-month
calendar. (The episode's in Livy, which I was reading just before my
e-reader's screen got cracked -- oh woe!)

It *is* interesting though that none of the numbered months (September
to December) figure among those whose names Cornish borrowed from
Latin. Perhaps the ancient Britons thought it silly to just call
months by number (and the wrong number at that) so they kept their
original names there. (For June and July, though, there can be no such
explanation.)

~~Owen