[Spellyans] a denewen "aside"

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Feb 10 20:21:50 GMT 2010

On 10 Feb 2010, at 18:38, Owen Cook wrote:

> Where KK actually agrees with the scribal tradition against Nance, I
> really don't see any grounds for authenticists to argue the point.
> We've already mooted a number of instances where Nance was mistaken,
> or where he simply chose one variant where we have reason to prefer
> another. I'm with Dan on this one.

The scribal tradition is not some sort of grab-bag. "Ooh, it's there,
it's automatically suitable". It is only one part of the suite of
things that have to be taken into consideration.

Consider "one", which is attested onan, onen, onyn, onon, and probably
onun and onin as well. (No, I didn't check.) Evidently "onyn" is most
frequent, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right one to
choose.

Of course we have rejected KK's "onan" for a variety of reasons, the
chief of which is that "onen" is very widely traditional throughout
Cornwall already.