[Spellyans] a denewen "aside"

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:43:51 GMT 2010

On 10/02/2010, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
>  The scribal tradition is not some sort of grab-bag. "Ooh, it's there, it's
> automatically suitable". It is only one part of the suite of things that
> have to be taken into consideration.

Well, obviously. Other factors come into play. However, if Dan is
right that in the scribal tradition 100% of attestations are spelled
with -en (setting aside Boson), and if -en also works okay with the
conventions of KS/SWF, the burden of proof must be on anyone who wants
to make the spelling anything different. And if we get /e/ when the
stressed shifts, then I don't know what we're arguing about. My point
is, KS can be a bit flexible in how it chooses to represent schwa.
This is a good thing.

~~Owen