[Spellyans] Squires

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Feb 19 19:06:46 GMT 2010

I don't think there's cause to geminate the r in speech, or to write it -rr-.

I also think that your transcription is unlikely. <ie> may be [iːə] under stress, but when the stress shifts I doubt that [ɪˈɛ] is at all likely. [iˈɛ] is more likely, realized as [iˈjɛ] most probably. In general I find your transcription to use far too many ɪ's.

On 19 Feb 2010, at 18:35, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

Personally I don't favour having a RLC plural that differs from an RMC plural. So my question stands: should the plural be sqwieryon/sqwyeryon or sqweryon?