[Spellyans] Squires

janicelobb at tiscali.co.uk janicelobb at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 11:24:05 GMT 2010

what have you got against  -ion endings for LC?
Jan

Traditionalist orthography is not a mechanical grab-bag of what happens
to be in the texts. We do not just say "If a word has a form in the
text, then that orthographic form is suitable for a modern
orthography." What we say is that traditional orthographic *forms*
should be used. That may or may not have to do with an attested
wordform.

>We might have a word for instance ONLY attested in Lhuyd, like *hụag.
Would we not spell this word as "whag"? Of course we would -- even
though the only attestation did not have a wh-. Why? Because our
orthography uses "traditional orthographic forms". which does not mean
"copying only attested instances of any word".

>There are some 56 examples of -ryon in the texts (not all of which
are final), of which only six are finals in -rryon:

>squyerryon OM 1640
>tyorryon OM 2411, 2423, 2486
>karpentorryon OM 2410
>gwyrryon BK 266
>
>It is easy to see from karpentorryon that the -rr- here isn't
meaningful; compare:

>Pehadoryon PA 37
>guythoryon OM 2331
>Karpentoryon OM 2422
>guykcoryon PC 331, 1304
>palmoryon RC 1478
>sovdoryon BM 1190, 2493
>pyboryon BM 4563
>pehadoryon TR 7a
>soudoryon BK 3243
>
>On phonetic grounds, there's no warrant for an -rr- in the plural of
sqwier [ˈskwiːəɾ];l certainly the suggestion that it was a geminate
isn't likely, given OM's Karpentorryon 2410 and karpentoryon 2422, so I
would ditch [r(ː)] for [r].