[Spellyans] Squires

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Sat Feb 20 13:00:14 GMT 2010

In <sqwieryon> the first <i> is not stressed, so could it be spelt
<sqwyeryon>? It may be better with an <i> but that breaks the stress rule.
However, if you double the <r>, giving <sqwierryon>, then the correct stress
is more obvious. I am not proposing to pronounce the <r> double, just to
write it so.
In the other examples of <-ryon> that we have seen, the <r> is doubled when
the syllable that ends in the <r> is stressed and preceded by a <y> or a
<w>. The one exception is clearly from English, and here the stress pattern
is abnormal, going from the first syllable in the singular to penultimate in
the plural. Perhaps the writer was unsure about how to spell that one.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim