[Spellyans] bone-marrow

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 15:07:17 GMT 2010

Nance's mer is based on Welsh mêr 'marrow, fat', which is probably the
same word as Irish smior 'marrow'.
Lhuyd's maru on the other hand looks like a borrowing from Middle
English marow.
In which case marow is the attested word and mer is a neologism. They
are different words, however.
Breton mel 'marrow' seems to be a borrowing of French moelle < Latin
medulla.

Nicholas