Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Thu Jul 22 10:23:57 IST 2010

A gowetha,

I wonder whether any professional empirical studies have ever been undertaken on the remaining 'native speakers' of the West Penwith dialect.  People like Nance have urged that this dialect is the nearest thing we have to the sound system of late Cornish.   That said, it surely deserves some serious study, and I wonder whether there has been any serious proposal to research it.

In 1990 Seamus O Coilean successfully presented a BA (Hons) by Independent Study thesis at the Polytechnic (now University) of East London, entitled 'Late Cornish - an accurate reconstruction for the sound system'.  I have read this and I wonder whether others are familar with it.  It presented some interesting and original ideas, and I would be interested to know what others may have thought about it.

- Ken

Ken MacKinnon is now on Broadband  with new e-mail addresses:-

ken at ferintosh.org
and also at:-
ken.ferintosh at googlemail.com

My former e-mail addresses are no longer able to be used.

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,
Ross-shire  IV 7 8HX