Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Jul 23 23:03:29 IST 2010

Nicholas wheg,

Here’s what Pokorny (Albert Bock) posted on Cornwall24 in response to your posting here. Since neither of you are subscribed to one and the same list, I thought I’d post it here, if you had anything to say to it.

Dan

“I see that Nicholas has replied to my short paper on the Spellyans list. Unfortunately there is no single list or forum that he and I are both subscribed to, so I will have to answer here.

In intervocalic position historic /l/ and /l:/ are indeed phonemically
different in some of the MC texts.

I have checked the figures supplied by Ken George, and they seem to be accurate (+/- 1% due to different treatment of edge cases). /'VlV/ and /'VllV/ are very clearly phonemically different in the language of the scribes of PAA, the Ordinalia, BM, BK, TH, and SA. It may be argued that PAA and BK represent a variety of Middle Cornish that showed a tendency towards devoicing of /ll/ and /nn/, but phonemically there is no doubt about the persistence of the distinction. Unetymological spellings of /n/, /l/, /nn/, and /ll/ in all these texts are very rare indeed.

L and n are not completely parallel here. CW confuses historic /l/ and /l:/, writing them both as <ll>. It has not, however, conflated /n/ and /n:/ since in CW historic /n:/ has been pre-occluded.

CW is different in that intervocalic /ll/ is represented 'correctly' in only 86% of cases, and /l/ in 90% of cases. But the text was written by a native speaker of early Late Cornish who used double consonant spellings to indicate vowel shortness much more often than any of the earlier scribes. Incidentally, the number for /nn/ isn't much higher than that for /ll/ - it is 87% 'correct', even though we know that pre-occlusion would have prevented /nn/ (> /dn/) and /n/ from falling together.”

  _____