[Spellyans] An SWF glossary & Unified versus SWF

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 8 22:39:26 BST 2010

Eddie,

I think you have hit the nail on the head for why many of us are instinctivelt attracted to UC ( and UCR, for that matter!) Its grammar and orthography IS largely a standardising exercise and combined with UCR's vocabulary enrichment one feels it really is reflecting how the language worked and was used.
As for the large corpus of UC literature it would seem silly deliberately to cut oneself off from it by going for a quite altered orthography. However I must also be honest and say I find the idea of the Late Cornish very appealling too. Lots of hard research have gone into it and one senses it IS the language of the later speakers with whom it is putting us in touch.
Would others agree that in some ways the UC/UCR- LC distinction parallels the difference we find in Welsh between the Colloquial and the Literary registers, or is there a bigger gulf?

Anyway, it's good to know that if I continue with UC/UCR ( my own favourite, I guess) it won't all be for nothing.

Anyone have experience of the old Llawlyfr Cernyweg Canol by Lewis? I know it's in Welsh but is it any good in its analysis of MiddleCornish, and how does it tie in with UC? Or is it largely a waste of money?

Ewan.