[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Jun 1 20:36:04 IST 2010

Yes, Ken, I have it - weekend smothered in horses as usual (esp. as
Sunday and Monday were far better than the miserable Met office
forecast - they ALWAYS do that for Bank Holidays!) so hadn't had a
real chance to respond.

Summercourt doesn't appear to have had a Cornish name.  It was:
Longaferia 1227; La Lunge feire 1234; Langchepyng 1351; Somercourt
1711; Summer Court 1712.  The modern name appears to be of relatively
recent origin and there is nothing to explain the change.  The Middle
Eng. names are "long fair" and "long market".

Arrallas is a contraction of a compound: Arhanslys: "silver
court" (Arganlis 1086; Argantles 1259; Arganles 1262; Arganleys 1301;
Argansles 1303; Argalles 1303, 1346; Argallis 1374; Argawles 1566).
There is an Iron Age round here which is almost certainly the 'lys'
referred to.  The Old Cornish unassibilated Argantles from 1259 is
interesting - the date seems late for a name in this location (mid-
Cornwall) to retain the OC form.  Arhans (arghans), 'silver' is used
elsewhere as a first element in compounds:  Tregantle in S.E. Cornwall
(Argantell 1521) is arghant-el, "silver stream"; down in St Levan
parish, as far SW as you can get, is Ardensawah (Arghansawyth 1302),
also "silver stream": arhans + aweth.

Craig

Craig Weatherhill