[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 1 22:19:08 IST 2010

Dear Ken,

...'fystynna yn lent.' ....or in my case, 'hast moy, spedya le', if you'll
forgive the probably contorted Cornish!

I think when one is learning a language largely on one's own the temptation
is to try to run before one can even toddle and let enthusiasm outmatch
proper attention to detail. And with Cornish having three to four versions,
not counting the SWF/KS addition it gets even more complicated! However the
main thing I think is to master the main outline of the syntax and a good
basic vocabulary.
Personally I find the best way to get to grips is to read a little each day,
keep going over the grammar points and begin a daily, very modest diary
entry to build some confident recall.
Happily I'm beginning to get a feel for the mutations as well- they're
definitely a shade more challenging than Scots Gaelic's blessedly single
mutation and its splendid orthography system that cleverly enables one to
know the unmutated root sound.

I'm very fond of my Cornish Simplified and Cornish For Beginners. I got both
years ago in James Thin in Edinburgh in anticipation of doing the Hons
Cornish paper but sadly by the time I got to that stage Donald Howells had
retired to Stornoway, I believe.He was a very nice Welshman and wore his
learning in unassuming manner. Bridger's Library- is that the Library at the
top of Morrab Road?
One thing about Cornish- it obviously has a very rich theological
vocabulary, whether one includes the 'borrowings' or not. It is great to
think the whole New Testament is now available in the UCR and KK. I'd love
to see it in Late as well.
I assume from what has been mentioned that The Gorsedd held fast to Unified
until the recent intoduction of the SWF and never adopted KK which rather
surprised me, given support for KK from the Kesva.

On a more narrowly focused Spellyans topic, may I point out that the 'wh'
combination presents absolutely no problem to any Scotsman as we pronounce
it just as it should be in Cornish- a voicless aspirate ( not the proper
technical term which for the moment escapes me!)  What do others make of
reversing the order of the letters to 'hw'? Phonetically does that not imply
a different sound of 'h' followed by 'w'? I can see why it might seem more
helpful to those lacking the aspirate 'wh' in English, but surely it is not
THAT difficult a sound to learn to articulate?

On the Prayer Book publications, etc I shall certainy seek them out. Are
there ever any Cornish services held in non conformist chapels or churches?
I have no problem with Low Anglican services but in Cornwall I think most
are very Anglo-Catholic which I couldn't really be doing with. Sadly, I
believe St Paul's in Penzance is now closed. We used to worship there and in
the beautifully maintained, very traditional Baptist Church down the road
where Rev Hywel Roberts was minister.

Anyway, must stop here.

Ewan.